Key Dates to Remember

From AIG Funds

Key Dates to Remember

Please note that this calendar provides tax dates for federal tax returns only. Deadlines for filing state tax returns (if applicable) may vary by state. Please contact your State Department of Taxation for details.  


April 1, 2021

  • Beginning Date for Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs): If you reached age 70 1/2 in 2020, you must begin taking required minimum distributions from your IRA by April 1, in the year you turn 72. A 50% excise tax may apply if you miss taking this RMD or don’t take out enough.


April 15, 2021

  • Income Tax Returns Due: 2020 tax returns must be postmarked by midnight, April 15, unless an extension has been filed.
  • Extension Forms Due: If you need more time to prepare your 2020 tax return, you can file for an automatic 6-month extension of time to file the return. This must be done before midnight, April 15.  
  • First Quarter 2021 Estimated Taxes Due: The first installment of your 2021 estimated taxes must be postmarked by April 15.
  • 2020 Retirement Contributions: April 15 is the last day to make contributions to your Traditional or Roth IRA.


October 15, 2021

  • Extended Tax Returns Due: If you filed for an automatic 6-month extension on April 15, you must complete and postmark your 2020 tax return by this date.
  • 2020 Roth IRA Conversions: If you converted a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA in 2020, you have until October 15 to “recharacterize” or undo the conversion. This may be helpful if your IRA has suffered losses since the conversion. Please talk to your financial and tax advisors for details.


December 31, 2021

  • Required Minimum Distributions Due: This is the deadline for taking RMDs in the year after your first RMD and in each year thereafter. Please note that if you took your first RMD in April of 2021, you must take your second RMD by December 31, 2021.  


Note: Tax information provided is general in nature and for informational purposes only. Neither SunAmerica, its affiliates nor its licensed sales professionals provide tax advice. Please consult with a tax professional for advice concerning your particular situation.